Friday, March 22, 2013

Spinning Fun

We had our monthly get together last Sunday at Ms. Wonder Whys farm and I decided I'd take my wheel since it's been months since I last spun.  After a fab-u-lous lunch and some chit chat, we finally got down to some spinning.

I had just a little bit of one of my blended batts that needed finished and thought it would be a good time to try my hand at Navajo plying.  Lucky for me, Ms. Wonder Why was very willing to give me a lesson.

Ta da.......


It sure wasn't easy but I gotter done!  I was thinking it was going to be an over plied mess but was surprised, once I had it wound into a skein, to find it was pretty balanced .....shocker!

So on Monday I decided I'd better try again before I forgot what Andrea had shown me.  Checked my spinning basket and sure enough found another full bobbin.  For some reason before I left Andrea's, I took the jumbo flyer off my spinning wheel and put the smaller one back on. 

You know how it goes, I was to lazy to put the jumbo flyer back on.  I just wanted to get started plying. I was sure it would be just fine to use the smaller flyer....Wrong.  Of course I didn't figure out why I was having so many problems until I was about half way through the bobbin.  Dah......I couldn't peddle slow enough for my hands to keep up.  So this skein, not so great....

Close up.....just look at that over plied skein or maybe I should say "energetic"!
 
Oh well, I'll definitely give it another try....practice, practice, practice.

It felt nice to be sitting at my wheel again so thought I'd find something else to spin up.  Chose some fiber I picked up when we were visiting our son in VT last October. I have two 4oz skeins of Frabjous Fibers hand dyed Merino called Green with Envy.
I'm loving how it's spinning up.  I haven't decided if I'll try Navajo plying this when I'm done or not.  Since I have two braids, I my fill two bobbins and ply them together.  I'll see how I feel after I get the singles done.

I've also been knitting on my Viajante but decided not to bore you with any pics at this point.  It's going to be while before it will look any different.  After looking at several of the finished Viajante's, I found inspiration from tippsy1's Viajante....she incorporated beads and also love how DeDitte's added additional sections of the lace edging.  So I'll wait to give an update once I've added some beads.

That's it for me, thanks for stopping by......hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

12 comments:

  1. I love the colors on that last bobbin! Gorgeous. Your skill makes me "green" with envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your play on words made me smile. Thanks, I thinks it's going to turn out nice.

      Delete
  2. Those singles look absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm green with envy of your Green with Envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at your play on words.....Thanks

      Delete
    2. If you ever decide you want to try patterned socks, I recommend Hunter Hammersen's patterns. They are all well-written and gorgeous. I'm somewhat of a fangirl. (sheepish)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful yarns. Good for you for trying something new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous spinning! Beads, yippee, beads!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The Green with Envy is so colorful!! I'd love to make a little cape for my three-year old with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Green with Envy is such an appropriate name. That's how I'm feeling about your gorgeous wool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you go!

    I think that new yarn will look great plied together or N-ply. Beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could try thwacking your over plied skein to get it more balanced. Very good for first efforts, much better than my first ;)

    ReplyDelete