Friday, February 15, 2013

Making Progress

Here we are with another week behind us.  Unfortunately for me, I took a tumble last Friday while tiling my kitchen back splash.  Yup....step stool, cause I'm to short to reach the wall in most places, coupled with pants that were too long.   Left foot standing on my right pant leg, me not knowing it, and needing to get down to move the stool.

Crash, bang!....clipped the counter top with the underside of my right arm, wrenching my shoulder and neck, before smacking my head on my brand new floor. 

Hubby came running from his office, and as we all do in these types of situations, looks down and says "are you hurt?"  After opening my eyes and getting my breath back, y...e....s!....I said in my best whinny voice.

So I spent most of this week in my recliner on muscle relaxers and the heating pad.  Glad to say, no major damage and I love how the back splash looks.....


I only have to paint the trim pieces, glue them in place and this task will be done!  Oh yeah, just for the record.....I don't foresee any tiling jobs in my future.

Needless to say, I needed something pretty mindless to knit.  Several of my friends have been making socks so I decided that would be the perfect project. My goal..... new socks for me. 
Kelly's Toe Up Socksation
Best laid plans.....I don't know if it was my drug induced state or what, but the sock was way to big for me.  I was too lazy, really just didn't care, to pull it out and look for smaller needles so hubby now has one completed sock.  He's a happy camper and I still managed to get something knit for this weeks post....win, win!

I didn't post last week because I was being compelled to work on a new mixed media canvas instead of knitting or spinning.  Pinterest!!!......I knew I shouldn't get caught up in it's sticky web.  I found Finnabair and she inspired me and as as they say, "the rest is history."

Cut this bird picture from a magazine, decoupaged some tissue paper for his tree and jumped in.

Decided to add some more branches, some leaves and more found items.

Really got into salvaging odds and ends, no drawers were left unturned.....computer parts, metal pieces, tools, jewelry....nothing was off limits.


I worked on it this week until it told me it was complete......
Then I decided to gesso everything before doing my final painting hoping to turn all the found objects into a textural frame surrounding Mr. Cardinal.....keep your fingers crossed!
That's it for me this week.  Heading over to visit all the other Fiber Arts Friday blogs  at Wisdom Begins In Wonder.  Hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend....Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!



8 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love them both, as in I love the pre-gessoed one and the actual gessoed one. The cardinal is amazing. You do incredible work, both knitting and mixed media.
    Take care of yourself, goodness gracious. I'm glad you are okay. The tiling job looks great.
    Smiles,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Backsplash looks good. Sorry about your fall; I hope you're feeling better. Glad you got to knit your socks. I really like the gessoed version. It' fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It's fantastic. (and I guess I should have said glad you got to knit socks (for your husband) :)

      Delete
  3. Love the canvas!!! And the sock is very cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The backsplash looks great! The post-gessoed piece is amazing... huge difference.

    Hope you're feeling better from that fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you didn't get hurt too much from the fall, it sounded pretty bad! The mixed media piece is so creative, I was thinking the bird got lost in all the hardware, but bang! the result is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, that kitchen is looking great. I need to get over this bug so I can come visit. Love the sock...glad Big Daddy does too. Your mixed media is FABULOUS! I am really lovin' this one.

    ReplyDelete